MoD approves 33 new fighter jets
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II and III – India-Russia ties; Defence
- Defence Acquisition Council approved deals worth Rs. 38,900 crore which includes procurement of 21 MiG-29 fighter jets and upgrade of 59 MiG-29s and acquirement of 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft.
- The approval came after Defence Minister’s visit to Russia for the Victory Day Parade.
Important Value Additions:
About Defence Acquisition Council
- DAC – is the government’s highest decision-making body on defence procurement.
- DAC is chaired by Union Defence Minister.
- To counter corruption and speed up decision-making in military procurements.
The decision flowing from the Defence Acquisition Council are to be implemented by the following 3 Boards –
- Defence Procurement Board headed by the Defence Secretary
- Defence Production Board headed by the Secretary (Defence Production)
- Defence Research & Development Board headed by the Secretary (Defence Research & Development)