Nepal blacks out Indian news channels
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – India and its neighbours
- Nepal banned private Indian news channels, claiming that the channels had been telecasting content hurting its national sentiments.
- Only state-owned broadcaster Doordarshan will be allowed to continue beaming into Nepal.
- Tensions between India and Nepal have escalated over Nepal’s claim over the Kalapani, Lipulekh and Limpiyadhura areas.
- Nepal maintains that India has claimed the disputed region by building the Darchula-Lipulekh link road despite repeated objections.
- India, on the other hand, said that the road falls within its territory.
- Nepal Prime Minister Khadga Prasad Oli has also claimed that the Indian government and his political rivals were plotting to oust him from power.