Red Sanders seized in Andhra Pradesh
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains III – Environment and ecology; Biodiversity; Conservation
- Andhra Pradesh Red Sanders Anti-Smuggling Task Force seized 1.50 tonnes of red sanders logs in Seshachalam hills, 25 km from Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh)
Important Value Additions:
About Red Sanders:
- Pterocarpus santalinus or Red Sanders is an endemic tree of South India
- They are found in Tropical Dry Deciduous forest of the Palakonda and Seshachalam hill ranges of Andhra Pradesh and also found in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- Red Sanders usually grow in the rocky, degraded and fallow lands with Red Soil and hot and dry climate.
- IUCN has put it under the category of endangered species in the Red List due to the dwindling population because of illegal felling and smuggling.
Do you know?
- Its export is banned in India in accordance with the CITES and Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
- It is used for various purposes such as immunity medicine, furniture, radiation absorbent, musical instrument, food dyes and spices, Ayurveda and Siddha medicine, decorative and ornamental purposes etc.