Behrupiya: Folk Artists
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-I – Art & Culture
- ‘Behrupiyas’ were recently in news due to their livelihoods being affected due to Covid-19 pandemic.
- Behrupiyas are impersonators, mostly known to perform in villages and markets all over India.
- The behrupiya festival is a traditional Indian style of street theatre.
- It takes place every year in different locations- Delhi, Ahmedabad, Udaipur and others.
- In the past, they assisted in circulating, transmitting and publicising the various knowledge forms among the people.
- The vibrant tradition of Ramleela can also be seen as an extension of this practice which continues even today.