Inclusion of the Disabled in National Food Security Act, 2013
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Welfare schemes
- State Governments/UTs have been asked to include all eligible disabled persons under the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013.
- Ministry: The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- The disabled persons should get their entitled quota of food grains under NFSA & Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) as per provisions of the Act.
- Fresh ration cards should be issued for those who are not covered as per the eligibility criteria.
- The disabled person should also be covered by States/UTs under the priority households.
Important value additions
- PMGKAY is a part of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP) to help the poor fight the battle against Covid-19.
- Section 10 of the NFSA: Identification and coverage of persons under the Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY). Disability is one of the criteria for inclusion of beneficiaries under AAY households.
- Section 38 of the NFSA: The Central Government may from time to time give directions to the State Governments for effective implementation of the provisions of the Act.
- Hence, the disabled persons without ration cards are also eligible for getting benefits under Atmanirbhar Bharat package.