Bondas tribal community
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-I – Society; GS-II – Health
- Bondas, a tribal community, was recently in news, when four of its members tested positive for COVID-19.
- The community resides in the hill ranges of Malkangiri district in Odisha.
- It belongs to a particularly vulnerable tribal group (PVTG).
- It lives in settlements comprising small hutments in the hills of the Khairaput block.
- Odisha is home to 62 tribal communities — the largest diverse groups of tribal population in India.
- 13 of them are PVTGs.
- Tribal populations are found in the entire seven districts of Kandhamal, Mayurbhanj, Sundargarh, Nabarangpur, Koraput, Malkanagiri and Rayagada.