Digital Quality of Life Index 2020: SurfShark
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – E-Governance & GS-III- Infrastructure; IT & Computers
- Recently, the Digital Quality of Life (DQL) Index 2020 has been released by SurfShark, an online privacy solutions provider.
- According to it, India ranks among the lowest in the world in terms of Internet quality.
- Coverage: 85 countries were covered (81% of the global population).
- Internet affordability
- Internet quality
- Electronic infrastructure
- Electronic security
- Electronic government
- Top rank: Denmark
- Indian Rankings: India stands at the overall rank of 57 out of the 85 countries.
- Internet Affordability: 9th place. It outperforms countries like the UK, the USA and China.
- Internet Quality: 78th place
- E-infrastructure: 79th place
- Electronic Security: 57th position.
- E-government: 15th place
Important value additions
Government Initiatives Related to Internet
- Digital India Programme: An umbrella program to prepare India for a knowledge-based transformation.
- E-Kranti: National e-Governance Plan 2.0 – an essential pillar of the Digital India initiative.
- Digilockers: certain official documents on the cloud can be stored.
- BHIM App: To enable digital payments.
- Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan: To make citizens digitally literate.
- Bharat Net programme: To provide an optical fibre network in all gram panchayats.