Over 80% of students depend on mobiles for learning: NCERT
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Education
- Recently, a survey was conducted by the NCERT from Classes 8-12 from Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs), Navodaya Vidyalaya Samitis (NVS) and schools affiliated to the CBSE regarding online education in the light of COVID-19.
Key takeaways of the Survey
- 80-90% of older students use mobiles rather than laptops to access digital schooling.
- Almost 30% said absent or intermittent electricity connections hindered their learning.
- Half the students did not even have access to their textbooks.
- In KVs, 84% of students used mobiles, while 19% used laptops for learning, similar to the ratio in CBSE schools.
- In the NVS (meant for gifted students from rural areas) less than 10% of learners used laptops, while 88% were dependent on mobile phones. Less than 6% used TV or radio.
- Only four States have completed mapping of the devices available to students — smartphone, basic mobile, radio, TV, personal or community computer — according to the Students’ Learning Enhancement Guidelines released by the Education Ministry.