India-Maldives: mn package
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains II – India-Maldives Bilateral ties; International Relations
- India announced a slew of new connectivity measures for the Maldives – which includes air, sea, intra-island and telecommunications.
- The above move is an effort to help the Indian Ocean Islands deal with the economic impact of the COVID19 pandemic.
- Air connectivity “bubble” for travel
- direct ferry service
- Submarine cable for telecom connectivity
- assistance for the Greater Male Connectivity project (GMCP)
At present, India-assisted projects in the region include water and sewerage projects on 34 islands, reclamation project for the Addl island, a port on Gulhifalhu, airport redevelopment at Hanimadhoo, and a hospital and a cricket stadium in Hulhumale.
Do you know?
- India to fund the implementation of the Greater Male Connectivity Project (GMCP) in the Maldives with mn packages.
- The GMCP will consist of a number of bridges and causeways to connect Male to Villingili, Thilafushi and Gulhifahu islands that span 6.7 km.
- It would ease much of the pressure of the main capital island of Male for commercial and residential purposes.