Indian Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO)
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains III – Defence
- Defence Minister launched the Naval Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation (NIIO).
- The NIIO puts in place dedicated structures for the end users to interact with academia and industry towards fostering innovation and indigenisation for self-reliance in defence.
- The NIIO is a three-tiered organisation.
- The Naval Technology Acceleration Council (NTAC) will bring together the twin aspects of innovation and indigenisation and provide apex level directives.
Do you know?
- The Draft Defence Acquisition Policy 2020 (DAP 20) rolled out by the Defence Ministry last month envisaged establishment of Innovation and Indigenisation Organisation by the Service Headquarters.
- Indian Navy already has a functional Directorate of Indigenisation and the new structures created will build upon the ongoing indigenisation initiatives, as well as focus on innovation.
- A compendium of Indian Navy’s Indigenisation perspective plans titled ‘SWAVLAMBAN’ was also released.
- A Technology Development Acceleration Cell (TDAC) has also been created for induction of emerging disruptive technology in an accelerated time frame.