Part of: GS Prelims and Mains III – Environment and Biodiversity; Conservation; Endangered species
According to study by TRAFFIC India –
- Out of the total of 747 leopard deaths between 2015-2019 in India, 596 were linked to illegal wildlife trade and activities related to poaching.
- Leopard poaching highest in Uttarakhand, Maharashtra
- It is a leading wildlife trade monitoring network across the world.
- The NGO is working globally on trade in wild animals and plants in the context of both biodiversity conservation and sustainable development.
- TRAFFIC was established in 1976 by IUCN and WWF to respond to the growing threats posed by illegal wildlife trade and overexploitation.
- India became a member of the programme in 1991.