‘Status of sex ratio at birth in India’ released
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-I – Social Issues
- Recently, a report titled ‘Status of Sex Ratio at Birth in India’ was released by the Vice – President of India.
- Brought out by: The Indian Association of Parliamentarians for Population and Development (IAPPD).
Key findings of the report
- There has not been any change in the sex ratio at birth in India from 2001-2017.
- The number of girl children born is much less than the natural norm.
- Suggestions: Rigorous implementation of Pre-conception & Pre-natal Diagnostics Techniques law to bring about a balance in the sex ratio.
- The sex ratio at birth is an important indicator and reflects the extent to which there is a reduction in the number of girl children born by sex-selective abortions.