Biotech-KISAN Programme highlighted in Lok Sabha
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Welfare schemes & GS-III – Biotechnology
- Recently, the importance of Biotech-Krishi Innovation Science Application Network (Biotech-KISAN) programme was highlighted in Lok Sabha during ongoing Monsoon session.
- The programme helps in taking innovative biotechnologies to the farmers.
Important value additions
- It is a farmer-centric pan-India scheme.
- Developed by: Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It follows a hub-and-spoke model.
- It stimulates entrepreneurship and innovation in farmers and also empowers women farmers.
- Aim: To understand the problems of water, soil, seed and market faced by the farmers and provide simple solutions to them.
- The programme links available science and technology to the farm by first understanding the problem of the local farmer and then providing scientific solutions to those problems.
- Currently, there are a total of eight Biotech-KISAN Hubs in different Agro-climatic Zones.