BIS Draft Standard for Drinking Water
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure: Resources
- Recently, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has prepared a draft standard for the supply system of piped drinking water.
- Title: ‘Drinking water supply quality management system — requirements for piped drinking water supply service’.
- It outlines the process of water supply, from raw water sources to household taps.
- The draft standard is expected to make the process of piped water supply more uniform.
- It has been developed keeping in view the Centre’s Jal Jeevan Mission.
Important value additions
Jal Jeevan Mission
- It aims for providing safe and adequate drinking water to all rural households by 2024 through tap connections.
- Ministry: Jal Shakti Ministry
The Bureau of Indian Standards
- It is the national Standards Body of India.
- Ministry: Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- Act: Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986