Cooperative Labour in Odisha Tribes
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Society
- Recently, labour cooperatives among tribal communities in Odisha were in the news.
- The tribes include the Dongria Kondh, Juanga, Lanjia Saura, Saura, Didayi, Paudi Bhuyan and Kandh.
- These cooperatives ensure all families of the community have food and no fields remain barren. The feeling of collective belongingness is also strengthened.
Important value additions
- They derive their name from dongar, meaning ‘hill’.
- They are the members of Khond Tribe.
- They are a Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group.
- They reside in the Niyamgiri hill range of Odisha.
- Language: Kui language (Oral only, not written)
- They worship Niyam Raja, the god of the Niyamgiri Forests.
- They sustain themselves from the resources of the Niyamgiri forests, practising horticulture and shifting cultivation
- They are currently facing displacement and health problems due to the Bauxite mining in the Niyamgiri hills.