Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-III – Security
- INS Viraat will be scrapped at a ship breaking yard at Alang in Gujarat soon.
- INS Viraat holds the Guinness World Record for being the longest serving warship of the world.
- It is a Centaur class aircraft carrier.
- It played a major role in Operation Jupiter in 1989 during the Sri Lankan Peacekeeping operation.
- It also saw action during Operation Parakram in 2001-2002, post the terrorist attack on Parliament.
- The indigenous Advance Light Helicopters ‘Dhruv’ and the Russian twin rotor Kamov-31 have also operated from the ship.
- It was decommissioned in March 2017.