Kiran: Mental Health Rehabilitation Helpline launched
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Health
- 24/7 toll-free helpline ‘Kiran’ was recently launched.
- Launched by: The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- Objective: To provide support to people facing anxiety, stress, depression, suicidal thoughts and other mental health concerns.
- Coordinated by: The National Institute for the Empowerment of Persons with Multiple Disabilities (NIEPMD), Chennai (Tamil Nadu) and National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR), Sehore (Madhya Pradesh).
- It will cater to – People in Distress, pandemic induced psychological issues and Mental Health Emergency.
- It will offer mental health rehabilitation services with the objective of early screening, first-aid, psychological support, distress management, promoting positive behaviours, etc.
- It will be available in 13 languages and has 660 clinical/rehabilitation psychologists and 668 psychiatrists as volunteers.
- Helpline operators had been sensitised not to ask the caller for name or any identification details.
Do you know?
- Earlier, the Ministry of Education had launched the ‘Manodarpan’ initiative to provide psycho-social support and counselling to students for their mental health and well-being.