Major Port Authorities Bill, 2020
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Ports
- Lok Sabha passed the Major Port Authorities Bill, 2020.
- The Bill seeks to provide for regulation, operation and planning of major ports in the country and provide greater autonomy to these ports.
- It seeks to replace the Major Port Trusts Act, 1963.
- The legislation provides for the creation of a Board of Major Port Authority for each major port.
- These Boards will replace the existing Port Trusts.
- The bill will help the ports develop world class infrastructure.
- It will also enhance transparency in their functioning.