New Brucellosis Vaccine by ICAR
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health; Policies & GS-III – Achievements of Indians in Science and technology
- Brucella abortus S19Δ per vaccine is developed recently by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s -Indian Veterinary Research Institute (ICAR-IVRI) for brucellosis prevention in the dairy sector.
Important value additions
- It is a bacterial zoonotic disease caused by various Brucella species.
- It mainly infect cattle, swine, goats, sheep and dogs.
- It is also known as Malta fever or Mediterranean fever.
- It is endemic in India causing huge economic losses to dairy industry due to: (1) Infertility; (2) Abortion; (3) Birth of weak off springs; (4) Reduced productivity