World Risk Index 2020 released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Climate Change
- According to the World Risk Index (WRI) 2020, India is ‘poorly prepared’ to deal with ‘climate reality’, due to which it is vulnerable to extreme natural disasters.
- Among continents, Oceania is at the highest risk, followed by Africa and the Americas.
Important value additions
World Risk Index
- It is part of the World Risk Report 2020 released by the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS), Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft and the University of Stuttgart in Germany.
- It is calculated on a country-by-country basis, through the multiplication of exposure and vulnerability.
- It describes the disaster risk for various countries and regions.
- It is released annually since 2011.
- It indicates which countries are in the greatest need to strengthen measures for coping with and adapting to extreme natural events.