Report on Literacy Rate released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Education
- Recently, the report on ‘Household Social Consumption: Education in India as part of 75th round of National Sample Survey – from July 2017 to June 2018’ was released.
- It is based on the National Statistical Office (NSO) survey.
- It provides for state-wise detail of literacy rate.
- Age surveyed: 7 years and above.
- India’s Overall Literacy Rate: 77.7%.
- Urban Areas: 87.7%.
- Rural areas: 73.5%.
- Male Literacy Rate: 84.7%.
- Female Literacy Rate: 70.3%.
- The male literacy rate is higher than the female literacy rate among all states.
- Best Performers: (1) Kerala; (2) Delhi; (3) Uttarakhand; (4) Himachal Pradesh; (5) Assam.
- Worst Performers: (1) Uttar Pradesh; (2)Telangana; (3) Bihar; (4) Rajasthan; (5) Andhra Pradesh
- Those who possess computers: 23% of urban households and 4% of rural households.
- Those who can operate a computer: Among persons of age 15-29 years, nearly 56% in urban areas and 24% in rural areas.
- Those who use the internet: nearly 25% in rural areas and 58% in urban areas in the same age-group
Do you know?
- The report comes before the International Literacy Day which is celebrated on 8th September every year.
- Literacy Day 2020: It will focus on the changes and challenges in learning during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- SDG 4: ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning.
- As per UNESCO, India will achieve universal literacy by 2060.