Rogan Art: Gujarat
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Art and Culture
- Rogan art (hand painting on cloth) was recently in news because it is facing an unprecedented challenge due to pandemic.
Important value additions
- With origins in Persia, it came to Kutch around 300 years ago.
- This rare craft is practised by a lone Muslim family, the Khatris of Nirona Village, Gujarat.
- Rogan is a form of textile painting which uses a rich, brightly coloured paint made from castor oil and natural colors.
- The intricate motifs – geometric flowers, peacocks, the tree of life, etc. – are drawn from the history and folk culture of the Kutch region.
- The ‘Tree of Life’ design is the most famous design in Rogan painting.
Image source: Click here