SAARC and CICA Meetings held
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, the Foreign Ministers’ meetings of the SAARC and the Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA) took place in a virtual manner.
- India called the SAARC countries to collectively resolve to defeat the scourge of terrorism, including the forces that nurture, support and encourage an environment of terror and conflict.
- Pakistan also made a detailed statement on the resolution of “long-standing disputes”
- All SAARC nations built a common stand on the need to cooperate in battling the coronavirus pandemic.
Important value additions
Conference on Interaction and Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA)
- It is a multi-national forum for enhancing cooperation towards promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
- The First Ministerial Meeting of CICA took place in September, 1999.
- It consists of 27 member nations from Asia including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Egypt, India etc.
- Japan, Indonesia, USA etc. are some of its Observer Nations.
- Republic of Tajikistan is the CICA Chairman for the period 2018-2020.