Swabhiman Anchal set to enjoy uninterrupted cellular service for the first time
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and interventions & GS-III- Technology; Telecommunication
- Thousands of villagers in Odisha’s Malkangiri district are set to enjoy uninterrupted cellular service for the first time in their lives.
Important value additions
- Due to threats from left wing extremists, mobile towers could not be installed until now in Swabhiman Anchal (formerly known as Cut-off area).
- Swabhiman Anchal comprises 151 villages.
- The area is surrounded by water on three sides and by inhospitable terrain on another.
- It also became less remote after the construction of Gurupriya Bridge, which connected the zone with the rest of the State in 2018.
Do you know?
- Odisha accounts for the highest number of villages that do not have mobile phone service in India.