U.S.-Israeli delegation lands in Abu Dhabi on historic visit
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – International relations
- A U.S.-Israeli delegation arrived recently in Abu Dhabi on the historic first commercial flight from Tel Aviv, Israel.
- The visit marked the normalisation of ties between Israel and the UAE.
- Objective of the visit: To boost cooperation in areas including aviation, tourism, trade, health, energy and security.
Important value additions
- Israel’s Health Ministry updated its list of “green countries” with low COVID-19 infection rates to include the UAE and eight other countries.
- This means that Israeli officials and journalists travelling to Abu Dhabi would be exempted from 14-day quarantine upon return.
- The UAE repealed a 1972 law which earlier boycotted Israel.
- Now, it will be permissible to enter, exchange or possess Israeli goods and products of all kinds in the UAE and trade in them.
Do you know?
- The UAE is the first Gulf country and only the third Arab nation to establish relations with Israel.
- Egypt made peace with its former battlefield enemy in 1979.
- Jordan followed in 1994.
- The UAE has never fought a war with Israel.