Ayushman Sahakar scheme launched
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- Ayushman Sahakar scheme was recently launched.
- Launched by: Ministry for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- Formulated by: National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), the apex autonomous development finance institution under the Ministry of Agriculture.
- It is a unique scheme to assist cooperatives to play an important role in creation of healthcare infrastructure in the country.
- NCDC would extend term loans to prospective cooperatives to the tune of Rs.10, 000 Crore in the coming years.
- There are about 52 hospitals across the country run by cooperatives.
- The NCDC fund would give a boost to provision of healthcare services by cooperatives.
- Ayushman Sahakar specifically covers establishment, modernization, expansion, repairs, renovation of hospitals and healthcare and education infrastructure.
- Any Cooperative Society with suitable provision in its byelaws to undertake healthcare related activities would be able to access the NCDC fund.
- NCDC assistance will flow either through the State Governments/ UT Administrations or directly to the eligible cooperatives.
- The scheme shall provide working capital and margin money to meet operational requirements.
- The scheme shall also provide interest subvention of 1% to women majority cooperatives.
- It is in line with the National Digital Health Mission and National Health Policy, 2017.
Do you know?
- NCDC was set up under an Act of Parliament in 1963 for promotion and development of cooperatives.
- Since 1963, it has extended around Rs.1.60 lakh crore as loans to cooperatives.