Crime in India 2019 Report released by NCRB
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Issues related to SCs & STs
- Recently, Crime in India 2019 report was released.
- Released by: The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
- There is an increase in crimes against Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) in 2019 as compared to 2018.
- Crime against SCs: Increased by over 7%
- Crimes against STs: Increased by 26%
- Highest number of crimes against SCs: (1) Uttar Pradesh; (2) Rajasthan; (3) Bihar.
- Highest number of cases against STs: (1) Madhya Pradesh; (2) Rajasthan; (3) Odisha.
- Registration of cognizable crimes: Increase of 1.6%
- Crimes Against Women: Increase of 7.3%
- Cybercrimes: Increased by 63.5%
Do you know?
- Cognizable crimes comprise Indian Penal Code (IPC) ones and Special and Local Laws (SLL) crimes.
- Cognisable offence means an offence in which a police officer has the authority to make an arrest without a warrant.
- SLL are Acts that are framed by the state government for specific issues.
Important value additions
National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB)
- Headquarter: New Delhi
- Set-up: 1986
- Ministry: Ministry of Home Affairs
- Objective: To function as a repository of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
- It was set up based on the recommendations of the National Police Commission (1977-1981) and the MHA’s Task Force (1985).