Flight test of supersonic missile-assisted torpedo release conducted successfully
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence
- A successful flight test of the Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART) system was conducted from Wheeler Island, off the coast of Odisha recently.
- Conducted by: Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Developed by: Several laboratories of DRDO
- The system will be a game changer in anti-submarine warfare.
- The development of the system has been crucial in capacity building of naval platforms to strike beyond the torpedo range.
- The system will be a significant addition to India’s anti-submarine warfare capabilities.
- SMART is a missile-assisted release of lightweight anti-submarine torpedo system for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations far beyond torpedo range.
Do you know?
- A modern torpedo is an underwater ranged weapon launched above or below the water surface, self-propelled towards a target, and with an explosive warhead designed to detonate either on contact with or in proximity to the large.