MoU for Education for Deaf Children signed
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Social Issues & GS-II – Education
- A historic MoU was recently signed between Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC) and NCERT to make education materials accessible for Deaf children in their preferred format of communication.
- As part of this MoU, educational print materials including NCERT Textbooks, Teachers Handbook and other Supplementary materials and resources will be converted into Indian Sign Language in Digital format.
- Class covered: Class I-XII
- Subjects: All
- Language: Both Hindi and English Medium
- Availability of NCERT textbooks in Indian Sign Language will ensure that Deaf children can also now access educational resources.
- This will also ensure educational standardization of Indian Sign Language as mandated in the New Education Policy, 2020.
Important value additions
- The Indian Sign Language Research and Training Center (ISLRTC), Delhi is a Society under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.