Kavaratti to be commissioned into the Indian Navy
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence & Security
- The last of four indigenously built Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) stealth corvettes (a small warship) “INS Kavaratti” under Project 28 (Kamorta class) is scheduled to be commissioned into the Indian Navy on 22 October 20.
- It is referred to as a potent Stealth ASW Corvette.
- It has anti-submarine warfare capability
- Indigenously designed by: The Indian Navy’s in-house organisation, Directorate of Naval Design(DND)
- Built by: Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata
- Kavaratti has a state-of-the-art weapons and sensor suite capable of detecting and prosecuting submarines.
- The ship also has a credible self defence capability and good endurance for long-range deployments.