Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) Missile installed inside the DRDO Bhawan
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence & Security
- Recently, Defence Minister inaugurated a model of an anti-satellite missile at the DRDO Bhawan.
- The anti-satellite missile system is seen as a symbol of national technological advancement
Important value additions
- ‘Mission Shakti’ was India’s first ever Anti-Satellite (ASAT) Missile Test successfully conducted on 27th March 2019 from Dr AP J Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha.
- A fast-moving Indian orbiting target satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) was neutralised with pinpoint accuracy.
- This was a highly complex mission, conducted at extremely high speed with remarkable precision.
- The successful conduct of Mission Shakti made India the fourth nation in the world with the capability to defend its assets in outer space.