Indian diplomat elected to UN Advisory Committee On Administrative And Budgetary Questions (ACABQ)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations; Important organisations
- Recently, Indian diplomat Vidisha Maitra was elected to the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ).
- ACABQ is a subsidiary organ of the UN General Assembly.
- The UN General Assembly appoints members of the Advisory Committee.
- Members are selected on the basis of broad geographical representation, personal qualifications and experience.
- The Fifth Committee of the General Assembly, which deals with administrative and budgetary issues, made the recommendation
- She has been elected for a three-year term beginning January 1, 2021.
- India was also elected recently to the UN Security Council as a non-permanent member for a two-year term beginning January 2021.
Important value additions
Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ)
- ACABQ consists of 16 members appointed by the Assembly in their individual capacity.
- ACABQ ensures that fund contributions to the UN system are put to good effect and that mandates are properly funded.
- Functions: (1) To examine and report on the budget submitted by the Secretary-General to the General Assembly; (2) To advise the General Assembly concerning any administrative and budgetary matters referred to it.