Information Management And Analysis Centre (IMAC)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Defence and Security
- Information Management And Analysis Centre (IMAC) was recently in news with regard to 12th anniversary of the 26/11 attacks.
Important value addition
- IMAC was established in November 2014.
- It is based in Gurgaon, India.
- It is jointly operated by the Navy and Coast Guard.
- It is the nodal centre for maritime security information collation and dissemination.
- It is the cornerstone of the National Command Control Communication and Intelligence Network for monitoring maritime traffic in India’s area of interest.
- IMAC’s task is to facilitate exchange of maritime security information among various national stakeholders, and generate a common operational picture.
- IMAC tracks only non-military or commercial ships, known as white shipping.
- Military ships, or grey hull ships, are tracked by the Directorate of Naval Operations, as this is on a classified network.