NMM and HPC facilities result in a 50-fold increase in its economic benefits: NCAER Report
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and technology
- National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) Report on “Estimating the economic benefits of Investment in Monsoon Mission and High Performance Computing (HPC) Facilities” was recently released.
- Released by: Ministry of Science and Technology
- With an initial investment of Rs. 1,000 Crores, NMM and HPC facilities result in a 50-fold increase in its economic benefits.
Key takeaways of the report
- A total of Rs. 1000 crores has been invested in setting up National Monsoon Mission(NMM) and High performance Computing (HPC) facilities by Government of India.
- 76% of the livestock owners are using weather information for taking decisions on modification of shelter; vaccination against seasonal disease; and fodder management.
- 82% of fishermen reported using Ocean State Forecast (OSF) advisories every time before venturing into sea.
Important value additions
National Monsoon Mission
- Launched by: Ministry of Earth Sciences in 2012.
- Aim: To improve the forecasting skills by setting up a state-of-the-art dynamic prediction system for monsoon rainfall different time scales.
- NMM builds a working partnership between the academic and research and development (R&D) organisations, both national and international.
- Its augmentation with High Performance Computing facilities has helped the country in achieving a paradigm shift in weather and climate modelling for operational weather forecasts.