WhatsApp officially announces Ephemeral Messaging feature
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and technology
- The WhatsApp app has officially announced a new feature of Ephemeral Messaging (disappearing messages) to the platform.
- It will be available to all users globally by November 2020.
Important value additions
- It is the mobile-to-mobile transmission of multimedia messages that automatically disappear from the recipient’s screen after the message has been viewed.
- The word “ephemeral” describes something that only lasts for a short period of time.
- Other encrypted messaging apps like Telegram, Signal, Wire already offer such an option.
- By turning on disappearing messages, users will get some more control over which chats are getting saved.
- It has decided the time limit of all users is fixed at seven days.