BSNL announces Satellite-Based Narrow Band-IoT
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Sci & Tech
- BSNL, in partnership with Skylotech India, announced a breakthrough in satellite-based NB-IoT (Narrow Band-Internet of Things).
- This is indigenously developed by Skylo.
- It will connect with BSNLs satellite- ground infrastructure and provide PAN-India coverage, including Indian seas.
- The coverage will be so vast that it will not leave any dark patch within the boundary of India.
- This is the world’s first satellite-based NB-IoT network.
- This new technology supports India’s plan of bringing indigenous IoT connectivity to India’s core sectors.
- This technology has already been tested successfully in Indian Railways, fishing vessels, and enabling connected vehicles across India.
- A small, smart, incredibly rugged box, the Skylo ‘User Terminal’ interfaces with sensors and transmits data to the Skylo Network and into people’s hands.