New ‘Policy on School Bag 2020’ by the Ministry of Education
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions
- According to the new Policy on School Bag, School bags should not be more than 10% of the body weight of students across classes I to X and there should be no homework till class II.
- The new Policy also recommends that the weight of the bag needs to be monitored on a regular basis in schools.
- They should be light-weight with two padded and adjustable straps that can squarely fit on both shoulders and no wheeled carriers should be allowed.
- The policy even recommends that the weight of each textbook may come printed on them by the publishers.
- The recommendations have been arrived based on various surveys and studies conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- The ‘Policy also recommended good quality mid-day meal and potable water to all the students so that they need not carry lunch boxes or water bottles.
- The policy said there should be no bags in pre-primary.