Cattle competing one-horned rhino’s in Assam’s Mini Kaziranga
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment; Biodiversity
- Too many cattle are competing against the one-horned rhinos of Assam’s Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary, referred to as ‘Mini Kaziranga’ for nutritious food.
Important value additions
Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is situated in the flood plains of River Brahmaputra in the district of Morigaon.
- In 1987, Pobitora was declared a wildlife sanctuary.
- It harbors the highest density of Rhinoceros in the world and second highest concentration of Rhinoceros in Assam after Kaziranga National Park.
- It is an Important Bird Area and home for more than 2000 migratory birds and various reptiles.