FASTag to become mandatory for all vehicles from 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- Recently, it was announced that FASTag is being made mandatory for all vehicles in India from 2021.
- It will be enforced from 1st of January, 2021.
- Ministry: Ministry for Road Transport, Highway
- The FASTags were launched in the year 2016.
- Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had issued a notification in November this year making FASTag mandatory by 1st of January 2021 in old vehicles also sold before 1st December, 2017 through amendments in CMVR, 1989.
- As per Central Motor Vehicles Rules (CMVR), 1989, since 1st December 2017, the FASTag had been made mandatory for all registration of new four wheeled Vehicles and is being supplied by the Vehicle Manufacturer or their dealers.
- It had further been mandated that the renewal of fitness certificate will be done only after the fitment of FASTag for the Transport Vehicles.
Do you know?
- For National Permit Vehicles, the fitment of FASTag was mandated since 1st October 2019.
- It has also been mandated that a valid FASTag is mandatory while getting a new 3rd Party Insurance. This shall be applicable w.e.f. 1 April 2021.
- This would be a major step for ensuring that the payment of fees be 100% at Toll Plazas through the Electronic Means only and that the vehicles pass seamlessly through the Fee Plazas.
- There would be no waiting time at the Plazas and would save fuel.