First eco-bridge for reptiles and smaller mammals in Uttarakhand
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- Uttarakhand, recently built its first eco-bridge for reptiles and smaller mammals in Nainital district.
Important value addition
- Eco-ducts or eco-bridges aim to enhance wildlife connectivity that can be disrupted because of highways or logging.
- Eco-bridges include: (1) Canopy bridges usually for monkeys, squirrels and other arboreal species); (2) Concrete underpasses or overpass tunnels or viaducts usually for larger animals; (3) Amphibian tunnels or culverts.
- Usually these bridges are overlaid with planting from the area to give it a contiguous look with the landscape.
- Importance of Eco-bridge: Click here