Pakistan and China designated among countries of Particular Concern by the USA
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Recently, the US State Department has designated Pakistan and China among eight other countries that are of particular concern for violation of religious freedom.
- Designation of the CPC is the top tier recommendation by the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) when it comes to violation of international religious freedom.
- It is followed by Special Watch List Countries for severe violations.
- Nations on the CPC list: Pakistan, China, Myanmar, Eritrea, Iran, Nigeria, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
- USCIRF recommendation that India, Russia, Syria and Vietnam be also designated CPCs was not accepted by the US State Department.
- Governments that have engaged in or tolerated severe violations of religious freedom are included in Special Watch List list.
- Comoros, Cuba, Nicaragua and Russia are on the list.