Foundation stone laid for New Parliament Building
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Parliament
- Indian Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of the New Parliament Building recently.
- The new parliament building is a part of ₹ 20,000 crore Central Vista project.
- The four-story building will be triangular and its interiors will have three national symbols – the lotus, the peacock and the banyan tree – as its themes.
- The parliament building will be ready in 2022.
- The old Parliament building will be turned into a museum.
- The new Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha halls will have increased seating capacities.
- In addition, seating in the Lok Sabha hall can be expanded to 1,272 to host joint sessions.
- Dholpur stone will be the primary construction material and red granite may replace red sandstone in some interior sections.
- The building will be equipped with modern audio-visual communication systems.
- It will also be fully wheelchair- and disabled-access friendly.