Government publishes a draft notification on E20 Fuel
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has published a draft notification seeking comments from the public for adoption of E20 fuel as an automotive fuel and for the adoption of mass emission standards for this fuel.
- The notification facilitates the development of E20 compliant vehicles.
Important value additions
- E20 fuel is blend of 20% of ethanol with gasoline.
- It will also help in reducing emissions of carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons, etc.
- It will help reduce the oil import bill, thereby saving foreign exchange and boosting energy security.
- The compatibility of the vehicle to the percentage of ethanol in the blend of ethanol and gasoline shall be defined by the vehicle manufacturer and the same shall be displayed on the vehicle by putting a clearly visible sticker.