GPS-Based Toll Collection System
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Infrastructure
- The Government has finalised GPS-based (Global Positioning System) toll collection to ensure seamless movement of vehicles across the country.
- Ministry: Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways
- This will ensure India becomes ‘toll booth free’ in next two years.
- The toll amount will be deducted directly from the bank account based on the movement of vehicles.
- While now all commercial vehicles are coming with vehicle tracking systems, the Government will come up with some plan to install GPS technology in old vehicles.
- The Minister expressed hope that the toll collections may reach Rs 34 thousand crore by March 2021.
- By using GPS technology for toll collection, the toll income in next five years will be Rs 1.34 lakh crore.
- About FASTag: Click here