Winter session Of Parliament cancelled this year due to Covid-19
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Parliament; Constitution
- Due to Covid-19, the Winter session of the Parliament has been cancelled this year.
- Budget Session shall be held in January, 2021.
- The power to convene a session of Parliament rests with the government.
- The decision is taken by the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs, which currently comprises nine ministers, including Defence, Home, Finance, and Law Ministers.
- The decision of the Committee is formalised by the President, in whose name MPs are summoned to meet for a session.
- The summoning of Parliament is specified in Article 85 of the Constitution.
- This provision specified that the central legislature had to be summoned to meet at least once a year, and that not more than 12 months could elapse between two sessions.
- India does not have a fixed parliamentary calendar.
- By convention, Parliament meets for three sessions in a year.