Honey FPO Programme inauguarated under NAFED
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Agriculture
- Recently, the Honey Farmer Producer Organisation (FPO) Programme of the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Limited (NAFED) was virtually inaugurated.
- Inauguarted by: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- The programme has been launched under the Formation and Promotion of FPOs.
- It is a new Central Sector Scheme for the promotion of 10,000 new FPOs.
- Under it, the National Level Project Management Advisory and Fund Sanctioning Committee (N-PMAFSC) had allocated FPO clusters for 2020-21 to all implementing agencies.
- FPOs will be developed by specialist Cluster Based Business Organizations (CBBOs) engaged by implementing agencies.
- NAFED has initiated the formation and promotion of FPOs of beekeepers and honey collectors in 5 states of India.
- 5 locations: East Champaran (Bihar), Morena (Madhya Pradesh), Bharatpur (Rajasthan), Mathura (Uttar Pradesh) and Sunderbans (West Bengal).
- The first Honey FPO has been registered in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Benefits: (1) Skill Upgradation in scientific beekeeping; (2) State of the art infrastructural facilities for processing honey and allied beekeeping products; (3) Quality upgradation by quality control laboratories; (4) Better supply chain management
Important value addition
National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED)
- It is an apex organization of marketing cooperatives for agricultural produce in India.
- It was founded on 2nd October 1958.
- It is registered under the Multi-State Co-operative Societies Act, 2002.
- NAFED is now one of the largest procurement as well as marketing agencies for agricultural products in India.
- Objectives: (1) To organize, promote and develop marketing, processing and storage of agricultural, horticultural and forest produce; (2) To distribute agricultural machinery, implements and other inputs; (3) To act and assist for technical advice in agricultural production
Do you know?
- Apiculture or beekeeping is the care and management of honey bees for the production of honey and wax.
- In this method, bees are bred commercially in apiaries, an area where a lot of beehives can be placed.