Human Freedom Index 2020 released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Social Issues
- The Human Freedom Index 2020 released recently placed India at the 111th spot out of 162 countries.
- India ranked 94 on the index in 2019.
- Published by: American think tank Cato Institute and Fraser Institute in Canada
- India’s score:
- 6.30 out of 10 in personal freedom
- 6.56 in economic freedom.
- 6.43 in overall human freedom score
- Top countries: New Zealand, Switzerland and Hong Kong
- USA and UK: 17th rank
- War-torn Syria ranked the last on the list.
- India’s neighbouring countries: (1) China – 129; (2) Bangladesh – 139; (3) Pakistan – 140.
Do you know?
- The report takes into account 76 indicators of personal, civil, and economic freedoms to rank 162 countries from 2008 to 2018.
- The institutes noted that the world has seen a notable decline in personal freedom since 2008.