India ranks 131 in 2020 UN Human Development Index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health; Education
- Human Development Index was released recently.
- Released by: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- India dropped to 131st spot among 189 countries
- India’s HDI value for 2019 is 0.645 which put it in the medium human development category.
- India had ranked 130 in 2018 in the index.
- Life expectancy of Indians at birth in 2019 was 69.7 years.
- Bangladesh has a life expectancy of 72.6 years and Pakistan 67.3 years.
- India, Bhutan (129), Bangladesh (133), Nepal (142), and Pakistan (154) were ranked among countries with medium human development.
- Top countries: Norway (1), Ireland (2), Switzerland (3), Hong Kong (4) and Iceland (5)
- According to the report, India’s gross national income per capita fell to $6,681 in 2019 from $6,829 in 2018 on purchasing power parity (PPP) basis.
- Indigenous children in Cambodia, India and Thailand show more malnutrition-related issues such as stunting and wasting.
Do you know?
- Human Development Index is the measure of a nation’s health, education, and standards of living
- Purchasing power parity or PPP is a measurement of prices in different countries that uses the prices of specific goods to compare the absolute purchasing power of the countries’ currencies.