Indigenous Games to be a part of Khelo India Youth Games 2021
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Policies and Interventions
- The Sports Ministry has approved the inclusion of four Indigenous Games to be a part of Khelo India Youth Games 2021, scheduled to take place in Haryana.
- The games include: Gatka, Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta and Mallakhamba.
- Kalaripayattu has its origin from Kerala and has practitioners all over the world.
- Mallakhamba has been well-known across India. Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra have been the hotspots of this sport.
- Gatka originates from the State of Punjab. This traditional fighting style of the Nihang Sikh Warriors is used both as self-defense and a sport.
- Thang-Ta is a Manipur marital art which has passed into oblivion in the recent decades.