Kiwis Of Ziro Valley
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Agriculture
- The kiwis that grow wild in Arunachal Pradesh’s Ziro Valley are the only certified organic fruit of their kind in India.
- Arunachal Pradesh is the first State in India to obtain Organic Certification for Kiwi under Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North East Region (MOVCD-NER).
- Ziro Valley is located in Lower Subansiri district.
Important value addition
Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North East Region (MOVCD-NER)
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- It is a sub-mission under National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA).
- Launched by: Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- Implementation in: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura,
Do you know?
- An agricultural practice/product is considered organic when there are no chemical fertilisers or pesticides involved in its cultivation process.
- Such certifications in India can be obtained after strict scientific assessment done by the regulatory body, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).